Sunday 29 November 2009

Swiss to ban minarets



I have just heard on "Euronews" - one of Virgin cable tv's news channels - that the Swiss public have voted in a referendum to ban minarets. 57% were in favour of it apparently, which by referendum standards is pretty solid.



Come on, guys. Just what are you scared of? Minarets are hardly going to kill you, are they? After all, you have 4 languages and their practitioners seem to rub along fine. Say....it's not prejudice against muslims, is it? Hmm. Here's me thinking they were harmless, if slightly strange people who were into cheese and cuckoo clocks. And taking dead Jews' money. Sorry, didn't mean that last one. Maybe it's having gone 500 years without a war that's made them so jumpy. And the lack of battle experience has left them feeling vulnerable. Reminds me of that Seinfeld joke:


"Ever see that little Swiss Army knife they have to fight with? Not much of a weapon there. Corkscrews, Bottle openers. 'Come on, buddy, let's go. You get past me, the guy in back of me, he's got a spoon. Back off. I've got the toe clippers right here.'”

No comments:

Post a Comment